Monday, July 12, 2010

July 12, 2010 - Technology can be Frustrating

Wow - we were supposed to download our Apps to the iPod Touch today -but WiFi was very intermittent and kept kicking us off. Needless to say, I didn't download anything. My sister has an iPod - so when I go home I'll get her to show me how to download. In the meantime I called my sister up, and had her download the APPs I was interested in and play the games. She stayed on the phone line so I could ask her questions about the games. We discovered that Yard Sale Hidden Treasures was not a good APP for S__. There was a lot of words on the page. The words were spelled incorrectly (i.e. iz for is) to show the character's voice. Also, the list of objects to find was a written list, with no picture or symbol accompaniment. To top it off, the female character was wearing a toga and showing a lot of cleavage, which is probably not acceptable in school. We looked at Highlights Hidden Objects, and it appeared to be a better fit. There are over a hundred hidden objects to find and when each one is located, it turns from black and white to color and a sound chimes to announce that you found it. The objects to find are in picture format. I was very impressed with Ace Kids Math Games.When you are adding, it gives you one number plus another number (number sentence). Under the numbers it gives you the appropriate number of fruits. It also gives you three choices. You pick the best choice. When you are subtracting, it gives you the number sentence. Then it gives you the fruit with the appropriate number of fruit crossed out. If you get the right answer, there is a lot of instant positive feedback – check mark, smiley emoticon, and phrases like awesome, perfect, super job, well done. When you get a wrong answer, it says wrong, shows a crying emoticon and gives you the right answer. We could not download Kids Stories as it required an iPod update that costs about $15.00. I would definitely feel like I needed to play with the Apps before I used them with any student. I would want to know how the APP worked and if there were any glitches that might not work for a particular student. I would also want to make sure that the APPs I did download reflected the student's interests and strengths.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer,
    What a great way to deal with a difficult situation of dealing with the temperamental WiFi here at Acadia. Considering we are in an AT course dealing with Augmentative and Assistive Technology, it is good to see someone pick up the "old fashioned" cell phone to call a family member to upload the APPs so you weren't stalled on getting your work done. Great thinking!

    ReplyDelete